Increase your productivity and online success with our proven online life hacks. When working together with virtual assistants, we’ll show you tools and tricks to maximize your efforts as a team.
As the founder of two small businesses and from my personal experience as a college student, my main advices about how to work online are:
- Eliminate distractions
- Try to stay as far away from time-wasters like Facebook and the like
- Work as much as you can offline. You don’t need the internet as much as you think you are doing. Most of your productive work can actually be done offline.
- Use a program to cut you off the internet if you really can’t hold yourself back
- Have a tightly organize to-do list and work at one item at a time
- When you take breaks, don’t take them at the computer. Quickly procrastinating for half an hour with your favorite forum, newspaper or social networking site isn’t a break. That just plainly procrastinating.
- If you do want to take a break, the most effective way is to step away from your computer, take a walk or do something else in your apartment.
The best way to work online is to be conscious when to stop working online.
The best tips about How to work online effectively – From my VA’s perspective
I asked my virtual assistant, who knows how to stay focused and productive way more than I do, for his best ideas about how to work online:
- Don’t work for long and continuous periods. Give a short interval in between. This can really increase your productivity.
- Take a break for 30 minutes. When I say break I mean “No Computer even in front of your Eyes”
- Pre-plan your work strategies and timings. Draw a blueprint of your whole upcoming day and divide tasks according to their priority and your concentration level.
- Do not work on repetitive tasks continuously. If you have a fairly long, boring and tedious task then take breaks and do some other tasks in between.
- Take proper rest and spent some time on leisure activities or sports, it will refresh your mind.
- Watch your favorite TV program in the break, even if you are very much occupied with some important tasks, take a break for your favorite show.
I use a set of different techniques to stay productive, focused and successful when working online. Just as my virtual assistant has his methods to stay focused on his job. The free productivity software Focus Booster is one of my favorite way to stay productive.
This program runs in the background with a small or a big window as you want
Use it yourself or sent your virtual assistant to this link in order to increase productivity on all sides. The free productivity software focus booster app is a very simple and minimal program that you can click to start anytime you want to work and then you get a timer preset to 25 minutes that counts down the seconds.
You can use any time interval you want, however 25 minutes followed by a five minutes break which also works with a countdown is based on the principals of the Pomodoro technique.
Without getting into the theory of productivity, it’s a proven study that shows that if you work on chunks of time and allow for short breaks in between, you are much more productive than if you work one hour without any pause and then make a big break.
From my personal experience when writing reports, typing for an E-book, reviewing my website, reading books, even working out or cleaning up my room, this technique has help me out often.
It should get a fixed part in your online working life too. The countdown of the free productivity software focus booster reminds you to stay on track by two ways:
- It counts down while making clicking noises. (If you want you can deactivate that option too, but I found it useful)
- On the other hand, the color of the countdown changes color very slightly over time even if you have a very small version of the window open in a corner of your window. From the corner of your eyes, you will know how much time has passed and you need to stay focused on the work.
Usually, twenty-five minutes of work feels way longer than it is and the five minutes break which is also counted down often pass like a breeze.
I guess that is human.
Still the technique is very powerful and you should be using this free productivity software every day to get the most out of you work day online.