Ever thought: “Personal Assistant wanted”?
Here is a story of my website building efforts that encouraged me to hire a virtual assistant.
How it all began
One of the latest Google changes called “Penguin & Panda” attacked websites which have a lot of broken links and missing information.
Sitesell’s proven philosophy that works, the C->T->P->M model helped out thousands of SBI website owners overcome these algorithm challenges.
Personal Assistant wanted to overcome Google’s algorithm challenges
- One of my other websites which has grown pretty large due to many guest submissions. After some time I had easily hundreds of broken links that needed correction.
- I also had some pictures on this website which were taken from creative commons and used to illustrate my blog entries or guest submissions.
Needless to say that I worked with my virtual assistant and he researched pictures for me. But I will discuss this on another blog post.
The pictures were outdated and many attribution links did not work anymore.
Google is penalizing websites with too many broken links and I was experiencing dropping traffic levels due to these changes.
Personal Assistant wanted to replace hundreds of pictures
First, I asked my virtual assistant to research through hundreds of web pages for broken pictures or pictures which have been licensed.
Working with pictures that are licensed is very tricky. You can run into trouble and might end up paying hefty sums of money because a licensing company thinks that you are stealing their pictures. Even if you took these pictures from Creative Commons before and the user changes the licensing level of the picture afterward.
The legal consequences are unclear. If you don’t want to risk losing much money, you better make sure that all your licensing information is up to date.
If you are a small (one man) online company, this means that you take care of your website all alone. As long as you have hundreds of pages of content with pictures, this task is almost not doable.
A virtual assistant is crucial to keep you updated and fresh on all the tasks you have.
So what did I do?
I asked my virtual assistant to help me update all my pictures and the attribution links on my website.
Since I am using the content management system of SBI, my personal assistant wanted me to first explain to him how to do this. This was easy by using a screen recording software. I just recorded every step of the process by talking, explaining and clicking and pointing.
Then I asked him to do the same on a specific example which I showed him step by step. Afterward he was pretty much able to do everything on his own. The guest submissions which all have pictures are good and bad at the same time.
Personal Assistant wanted to manage hundreds of guest posts
One of the strengths of SBI is their Content 2.0 system. This functionality makes my website grow quickly because visitors want to contribute to it.
I got many long blog entries written by guest writers for free. That was the good part.
The bad part is that we have to clean up all pictures and information which was not up to date anymore. Alone, it would have been an excruciatingly long task. With a virtual assistant that was very doable.
- Has this convinced you to try out working with a virtual assistant?
- Or is taking care of hundred of pictures within you blog and website pages not enough to answer the question: “personal assistant wanted”?
Do you know that your subscriber list is your most valuable asset in your online business? Having an email marketing assistant help you
- build the list
- get more leads and subscribers
- and analyze the statistics and data from your subscribers
speeds up your success with your online business at least ten times.
What if you are not an expert on email marketing? How are you going to explain things to your virtual assistant?
I was in the exact situation. Luckily, the best email marketing system, Aweber, comes equipped with LOTS of training materials, videos and discussions. It’s simple to send your virtual assistant to the Aweber interface, and give him some time to figure things out.
Since the first month with Aweber is almost free (1$), you have enough time to train your email marketing assistant before spending lots of money for nothing.
Simplify your email marketing efforts
The goal is that you can send your virtual assistant a simple form of the newsletter content
- an email
- a word document shared via Dropbox
- a simple voice recording that he has to transcribe first – this is the fastest method, but it requires your proof reading
and he can format, fine-tune and set it up in your email marketing system.
- set up links,
- include images
- even split test messages,
- or set up blog newsletters and more for you.
The best of both worlds
- Free time to manage your online business.
- An effective email marketing strategy set up by your virtual assistant in a fraction of the time it would have taken yourself.
What about analytics?
If you have a big subscriber list already, you probably know that you are sitting on a big amount of valuable data and statistics. But who has the time?
Luckily, if you have entrusted your marketing assistant with it, he can dig into the data, dice and splice it and give you valuable suggestions:
Your subscribers jump off the wagon after the 10th email? Perhaps there is something wrong with its content.
Free up your time and stay productive.
What does an email marketing assistant cost you?
Good question. What is your free time worth to you?
Then, he can do transcription and formatting of your email content which you have to deliver to him.
Depending on how many newsletters you set up, you’ll pay him on an as-needed basis.
If you instruct your email marketing assistant efficiently, your return of investment will be huge.
VA communications is part-7 of an interview with Eric, a fellow entrepreneur interested in outsourcing his work to virtual assistants all over the world.
Follow along to learn from our experience in working with VAs!
- Audio-video recording software is the most reliable means of employer and virtual assistant communications.
- How to monitor and increase your online business’ productivity with recording software.
- How reliable recording software is to get your message across your virtual assistant.
Start of the Interview: